Jewish Disability Awareness, Acceptance & Inclusion Month
Since 2009, North American Jewish Communities have been celebrating Jewish Disability Awareness Month in February. Now known as Jewish Disability Awareness, Acceptance and Inclusion Month (JDAIM), it is an opportunity to celebrate our commitment to removing barriers, celebrating diversity and connecting with our Jewish values. Making Jewish Life accessible for all is one of our most important community responsibilities. We are excited to celebrate JDAIM with the Atlanta Jewish Community!
How should we celebrate?
We encourage you to host an event that best serves your community. Here are a few ideas and resources. Stumped? Let us know and we can help you brainstorm!
- Attend our 5th annual Power of One event in January to honor those who've made an impact in the Atlanta community
- A sensory-friendly or inclusion Shabbat or other synagogue service:
A blog post about an inclusion Shabbat
Ideas from URJ about congregational JDAIM programs
An Interfaith Prayer by Rabbi Rick Jacobs – shared by Gabrielle Kaplan at Jewish Learning Ventures
- PJ Library Network program:
List of JDAIM related PJ books
A webinar from the Harold Grinspoon Foundation on PJ Library JDAIM activities
- A list of other inclusion-related books from Rabbi Ruti Regan at Matan
- Facilitate discussion around a JDAIM related ELI talk for your community
- Utilize Matan’s fantastic JDAIM lesson plans in the classroom (curriculum for K-HS)
- Host a sensitivity & awareness training for your teens, board, leadership or staff – free from JAA! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Encourage your community to attend an event – check the JAA calendar for a complete listing of events
How JAA can help:
Call us and we can help plan, talk through, or find resources for an event. Please let us know if you schedule an event so we can share on our website calendar, social media, and the JAA Listserv.
Visit the National Jewish Disability Awareness, Acceptance and Inclusion Month's official Facebook page to learn more about JDAIM.